What is Stille Nacht?
What is Stille Nacht?
“Silent Night” (German: “Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht”) is a popular Christmas carol, composed in 1818 by Franz Xaver Gruber to lyrics by Joseph Mohr in the small town of Oberndorf bei Salzburg, Austria. It was declared an intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO in 2011.
Is Silent Night a Catholic song?
The song debuted on Christmas Eve in 1818 in an Austrian church. But in that fall of 1816, a young Catholic priest, Joseph Mohr, had written a six-verse Christmas poem that began “Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht” — Silent Night, Holy Night — about the Nativity of a curly haired Jesus.
Why is silent night so popular?
The lyrics of “Silent Night” have always carried an important message for Christmas Eve observances in churches around the world. But the song’s lilting melody and peaceful lyrics also reminds us of a universal sense of grace that transcends Christianity and unites people across cultures and faiths.
How do you spell Silent Night in German?
The original words and music for “Stille Nacht” (“Silent Night”) were created in Austria by Joseph Mohr (words) and Franz Xaver Gruber (melody). Following its first performance in Oberndorf, Austria in 1818, it took decades before “Stille Nacht” became the worldwide Christmas classic it is today.
What is the story behind Silent Night?
It’s a song about a calm and bright silent night, and the wonder of a tender and mild newborn child, words written in 1816 by a young priest in Austria, Joseph Mohr, not long after the Napoleonic wars had taken their toll.
How do you say Silent Night in Polish?
Cicha Noc, Święta Noc (Silent Night – Version I) 1. Cicha noc, święta noc, Wszystko śpi atoli.
How do you say Merry Christmas in Polish?
The complete way to say “Merry Christmas” is “Wesołych Świąt Boże Narodzenie.” Boże Narodzenie literally means “God’s birth.”
What is the oldest Christmas Carol?
The first known Christmas hymns were reportedly “Jesus Refulsit Omnium” (“Jesus, Light of All the Nations”), written by St. Hilary of Poitier in the fourth century, and “Corde natus ex Parentis” (“Of the Father’s Love Begotten”), which was composed by Roman Christian poet Prudentius in the fourth century.
What is the most popular Christmas carol of all time?
Top 10 Christmas Carols of All Time
- Silent Night.
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.
- O Come All Ye Faithful.
- O Holy Night.
- What Child is This?
- We Three Kings.
- The First Noel.
- Away in a Manger.
What is the highest grossing Christmas movie ever?
The Highest-Grossing Christmas Movies Of All Time, According To Box Office Mojo
- 1 Dr.
- 2 Home Alone (1990) – $476 million.
- 3 Dr.
- 4 Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992) – $358 million.
- 5 A Christmas Carol (2009) – $325 million.
- 6 The Polar Express (2004) – $314 million.
- 7 Love Actually (2003) – $245 million.
What is the least popular Christmas song?
LIST: What Are Your Least Favorite Christmas Songs?
- “Merry Xmas Everybody” – Slade.
- “Last Christmas – Wham!”
- “Fairytale of New York” – The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl.
- “Baby It’s Cold Outside” – Tom Jones & Cerys Matthews.
- “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” – Jackson 5.
- “Santa Baby” – Eartha Kitt.
- “Jingle Bells” – Andrews Sisters.
What is the easiest Christmas song to sing?
Easiest Christmas Songs To Sing For Beginners
- White Christmas.
- Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree.
- Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer.
- Jingle Bells.
- Winter Wonderland.
- We Wish You A Merry Christmas.
- Driving Home For Christmas.
What is the easiest song to play on the guitar?
8 Easy Guitar Songs For Every Beginner
- “I Wanna Be There” by Blessed Union of Souls.
- “What’s Up” by Four Non-Blondes.
- “Love Me Do” by The Beatles.
- “Brown Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison.
- “Three Little Birds” by Bob Marley.
- “Achy Breaky Heart” by Billy Ray Cyrus.
- “Sweet Home Alabama” by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
What are top 10 Christmas songs?
More videos on YouTube
- 9. ” White Christmas,” Bing Crosby.
- 8. ” Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24),” Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
- 7. ” It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year,” Andy Williams.
- 6. ” A Holly Jolly Christmas,” Burl Ives.
- 5. ” Feliz Navidad,” Jose Feliciano.
- 4. ” Jingle Bell Rock,” Bobby Helms.
- 3. ”
- 2. “
What are the most beautiful Christmas songs?
As the festive season approaches, we’ve donned our Christmas hats and found the most beautiful performances of these enduring carols.
- O Holy Night.
- Silent Night.
- In the Bleak Mid-Winter – Gustav Holst version.
- In the Bleak Mid-Winter – Harold Darke version.
- O Come All Ye Faithful.
- O Come, O Come Emmanuel.
- Coventry Carol.
What is the oldest Christmas song still sung today?
Corde natus ex Parentis
What are the Top 5 Christmas songs?
- Ariana Grande, “Santa Tell Me”
- Brenda Lee, “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”
- Band Aid, “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” (
- John Lennon & Yoko Ono, “Happy Xmas (War Is Over)”
- Chris Rea, “Driving Home for Christmas”
- Elvis Presley, “Blue Christmas”
- Coldplay, “Christmas Lights”
What is the most popular Christmas hymn?
“Silent Night,” which Mohr wrote the lyrics for (in German) in 1816 and Gruber put to music two years later, is the most recorded Christmas song in the modern era of the holiday’s substantial oeuvre.
What are the top 10 Christmas movies?
The Best Classic Christmas Movies of All Time
- of 25. A Christmas Story (1983)
- of 25. The Santa Clause (1994)
- of 25. Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)
- of 25. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)
- of 25. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation (1989)
- of 25. Scrooged.
- of 25. Elf (2003)
- of 25. The Holiday (2006)
What is the most played Christmas song on the radio?
- The Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl – Fairytale Of New York.
- Slade – Merry Xmas Everybody.
- Bing Crosby – White Christmas.
- Wizzard – I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day.
- Mariah Carey – All I Want For Christmas Is You.
- Chris Rea – Driving Home For Christmas.
- Band Aid – Do They Know It’s Christmas?
Who is the king of Christmas music?
The “King” of Christmas Music We’ve been talking about it on air lately; there’s 2 “Kings” of Christmas music: Nat “King” Cole and Elvis “the King” Presley. Both of them have amazing, memorable, and plentiful Christmas libraries.
Why Christmas music is the best?
Another important reason for the longevity of Christmas songs is the great musicality they exhibit. Many of the great melodies and lyrics in modern music make up our favorite carols. So it’s no mystery that a special and sentimental time like Christmas would recall nostalgic, tried and true carols to color the season.
Who is the queen of Christmas?
Mariah Carey in a scene from “Mariah Carey’s Christmas Special.” Little wonder Carey has begun calling herself the Queen of Christmas, and scattering tinsel across platforms.
How many Christmas songs are there in total?
So how much Christmas music is there? In early December 2014, crack music + data nerd Aaron Daubman dove into the Spotify + Echo Nest music catalog and found 914,047 Christmas tracks – that’s just under a million Christmas tracks.
How old is Santa Claus?
ExploreHow old is Santa? Saint Nicholas was born in 270 AD. That would make him 1,747 years old.
What was the first Christmas song ever written?
Jesus Refulsit Omnium
What famous Christmas song was written in Austria?
What does Round yon virgin mean?
Round yon virgin The “round” in “Silent Night” might call up imagery of the soft, maternal kind, but in the phrase “round yon virgin,” it simply means “around.” “Yon” is an antiquated word for “that one” or “over there.” The meaning of the phrase in the song depends on the line before it.
What kind of musical form is joy to the world?
As of the late 20th century, “Joy to the World” was the most-published Christmas hymn in North America….
|Joy to the World|
|Based on||Psalms 98:4|
Who made Silent Night?
Franz Xaver Gruber